Maths Learning Story.

Veititi’s Maths Learning Story


At Porirua College, there are 220 boys.  132 boys choose to wear a lavalava.
E.J says that this percentage is because Porirua College students have a strong Samoan identity.
Do you agree that the percentage E.J worked out is enough to show that Porirua College has a strong Samoan identity?

Maybe you're confused about maths?. Well, I am too.

When I was reading this problem the first idea that popped into my head was to divide the whole number which was 220 to find fifty percent. I was trying to find out what percentage 132 boys is equal to.

Well, the first obvious thing was to draw a number line, so I drew a number line to show the different percentages. Here’s how I solved it.
As you can see on the number-line. I knew that half of 220 was 110 students so that was 50%.
Then I did 110+22=132 because 22 is 10%. I knew that 22 was 10% because I knew that 100%=220 so I took away the zero from 220 which equaled 22 which was the 10%. Or 220 divided by 10= 22 students.

To find 60% I worked out 110+22=132. So I worked out that E.J was right.

I found out that finding half of the total number is helpful because if you had a problem like this you could use the same strategy as me or different.

My next steps are to make sure I fully know the problem by reading through it again and again until I can explain and justify the problem and understand it.

Life is a math equation. In order to gain the most, you have to know how to convert the negatives into positives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Athletic Learning Story.

Art Learning Story.